For information on safe boating on NSW waters such as the Murray River, visit the Roads and Maritime Services website: www.rms.nsw.gov.au
Navigation Restriction – Murray River, Echuca – Moama – Southern 80 water ski race
(Marine Safety Act 1998 s.12)
Murray River, Echuca – Moama
southern 80 water ski race
6:00am to 7:00pm – Saturday 8 & Sunday 9 February 2020
Vessel operators are advised that a Special Event pursuant to Section 12(2) of the Marine Safety Act 1998 is to be held on the Murray River near Moama between 6:00am and 7:00pm on Saturday 8 and Sunday 9 February 2020.
Due to the potential to affect the safety of navigation, Transport for NSW has granted an Exclusive Use Aquatic Licence to the Moama Water Sports Club Ltd. to conduct the event and an Exclusion Zone (‘the Zone’) will be established on the entire width of the Murray River, near the towns of Moama – Echuca, between the above times and dates as specified below.
Saturday 8 February 2020
- From the Perricoota Marina, at the 1690km river marker, and upstream to the Victoria Park boat ramp, Echuca, at the 1712km river marker.
Sunday 9 February 2020
- From the Torrumbarry Weir, downstream of the 1630km river marker, and upstream to the Victoria Park boat ramp, Echuca, at the 1712km river marker.
The Zone will be marked at each end by buoys, local signage, and official vessels.No unauthorised vessels or persons may enter the Zone between the specified times.
Vessels that are lawfully moored or secured to the riverbank within the Zone at the commencement time may remain in the Zone pursuant to the Special Restrictions below, but may not be operated.
In addition, pursuant to section 12(3) of the Marine Safety Act 1998, SPECIAL RESTRICTIONS will be imposed on any non-participating vessels positioned within the Exclusion Zone as follows:
- Vessels moored or secured to the riverbank within the Zone must remain at their position, must be in a safe location well away from river bends and corners and MUST NOT be operated during the event.
- Any vessel determined to be moored or secured unsafely must be moved (for the duration) in accordance with any directions of an authorised officer or event official.
- Any vessel not moored or secured to the riverbank (i.e. merely anchored) is to be secured in accordance with the directions of an authorised officer or event official for the duration of the event.
All vessel operators and persons in the vicinity must comply with the above restrictions, keep a proper lookout, exercise caution and keep well clear of participating race vessels and persons, and any support vessels.
Houseboats are generally required to be orientated parallel to the riverbank and at the direction of an authorised officer or event official.
Occupants of vessels moored or anchored within the Zone are strongly urged to vacate their vessels during the event, and if they wish to view the race to do so from shore.
Vessels and persons in the vicinity of the Zone should exercise extreme caution and be aware of approaching race vessels and likely exit routes.
Do not swim along or across the river, swing or climb from trees along the river’s edge, or use a drone in the vicinity of the river as it is inherently dangerous and will cause the race to stop.
Failure of vessel operators and persons to comply with the above directions may cause the race to be delayed or stopped.
Transport for NSW advises that in relation to the Zone:
- Persons within the vicinity of the Exclusion Zones must comply with any directions given by a Boating Safety Officer or Police Officer in relation to the Special Event or to marine safety. Failure to comply with any such direction is an offence (Marine Safety Act 1998, s.15A – Maximum Penalty $3,300.00).
- No unauthorised vessels are permitted to enter the Exclusion Zones and to do so may be an offence (Marine Safety Act 1998, s12(5) – Maximum Penalty $1,100.00)
MAPS & CHARTS AFFECTED
Transport for NSW (Maritime) Boating Map – 19
For further information concerning this Navigation Advice, please contact the Transport for NSW (Maritime) Infoline 131 236 or visit www.transport.nsw.gov.au/maritime.
MARINE NOTICE SO2001